Real Housewives of Orange County
Vicki’s Lies Made Her Bed –
Now She Has To “Lie” in It
Every week I have great intentions of blogging this show – but then stuff happens and I use every excuse to get out of it. I’ve blogged previous seasons through thick and thin – I live in Orange County, so I’ve always had a lot of motivation to blog it… Until last season. Last season just flipped my freakin’ fig. It’s gotten so bad that I decided to compile where I’m at so far with the season into one post so I could catch up.
The Season Thus Far
- Evidently Tamra’s been called an “ass” so much she decided to work out to make hers rock hard so she could enter a fitness competition.
- Everyone’s blue from holding their breath that Vicki would offer some sort of a sincere apology for lying to them (and the viewers) all last season about Brooks and his absence of cancer… Yeah, right… dream on…
- Meghan receives the great news she’s pregnant after going through IVF and thus will have yet another baby to take care of in addition to her immature, wildly indifferent husband…
- Even after witnessing Tamra’s golf cart driving prowess – 3 people were silly enough to agree to get into a dune buggy with her as the driver. Go figure. Horrifically, their car rolled sideways 360° down a ginormous sand dune in Glamis. They’re all extremely blessed to be alive – especially the idiots who loosened their safety helmets (Vicki and Kelly). #idiots – If you can’t handle wearing the helmet, don’t get onto the ride. #idiots Seriously… #idiots.
- Her Royal Heatherness, who uses a ruler to measure everyone else’s behavior against her own royal standard of perfection, actually took off her crown and surprisingly was the voice of calm and comfort during the aftermath of the accident and quite possibly saved some of them from further injury… No joke.
- Shannon’s cheating ex-husband threw her a surprise vow renewal/birthday party. ‘Cuz there’s nothing like putting your spouse on the spot on national TV and in front of all your friends and family to ensure she agrees to renew her vows to you after you’ve cheated on her.
- Briana’s family moved back from Oklahoma to the OC so Vicki’s family love tank is full once again. However, Vicki’s recently been seen “Nekkid Ubering” around town in the middle of the night. Tamra said Vicki “Ubered” home from the hospital in a “paper dress.” The thing is that I don’t believe this for a danged second – ‘Cuz I had a real, cloth gown during my recent stint… There is no way the hospital would release her in a paper gown to go home alone. None. Seriously. That hospital serves the ritzy Palm Springs/Palm Desert area… Vicki is a lying liar who lies – so yeah, nothing has changed (later on in this blog you’ll see an excerpt from Vicki’s blog from last week wherein she says she was, indeed, wearing scrubs).
- And then there is the new girl Kelly who has somehow bewitched Vicki into liking her (Vicki usually hates the new girls ‘cuz they’re young and cute… She doesn’t seem to have that problem with Kelly… (not that Kelly’s not cute… but, you know…) Or Vicki might like her ‘cuz no one else will film with her.
- Kelly has ummm… a very creative way of expressing herself – So far, she’s called Shannon a “See You Next Tuesday” and Tamra a “dumb f***.” She had the potential of being another lovable “truth canon” (Not the slutty kind) – but she really is more like “Drunken Mean Girl Spice.”
- Oh, and never ever choose Kelly to be the one to console people in a crisis situation.
Later, back at camp, Kelly was “consoling” Tamra’s Mom, Sandy, who was absolutely terrified about how her daughter was doing – and Kelly unthinkingly said something like, “I just hope to God they’re okay… I mean they are alive… but we don’t’ know what their injuries are like.” Again, all true statements… but shut up, Kelly… You’re supposed to say, “They’re going to be okay… Waiting is hard – but this accident could have been much worse.”
The big dealio is that Vicki was airlifted to a hospital that’s quite far away from where they were camping in Glamis, California. No one knew how bad her injuries were at all at that point… Vicki had immediately started throwing up after the accident – so it could have been indicative of some pretty serious injuries. They just didn’t know…
And Vicki was all alone. They wouldn’t allow anyone to ride with her on the copter. Tamra went by ambulance to a local hospital – and Eddie went with her.
Remember the women all originally traveled to Glamis via Her Royal Heatherness’ Royal RV Chariot – However, there were several family members (Kelly’s family, Tamara’s son’s family, Tamara’s brother & mother, etc.) who had travelled there separately somehow. So it seems like there were vehicles that were accessible to use to go see Vicki. Plus, production had vehicle(s), no?
But here’s the thing… The housewives (Tamra, Kelly, Heather, and Vicki) had ALL just been in a very scary accident. They were all very shaken up and probably just wanted to be ANYWHERE that didn’t involve a moving vehicle of any kind. No one whose body is aching at all wants to go on a long car ride… No, not even for Vicki (or maybe I should have said, “Especially NOT for Vicki”… lol).
However… Meghan, Shannon, their spouses, and a production crew are all conveniently at Meghan & Jimmy’s house in La Quinta which is a little more than a half hour away from where Vicki is.
It’s All About the Geography
Before we go any further, let’s take a little look at where everyone is physically located at the time of the accident. Meghan did a crappy job of googling some kind of map to use in her justification that anyone BUT she and/or Shannon should go to see Vicki.
Below is a googled map with numbered designations on it so you get a visual of the geography.
- From Rancho Santa Margarita/Coto de Caza (1) – It’s the approximate starting point of the trip and near where Tamra, Vicki, and Briana live to Glamis (2) – At best, it takes 3 ½ hours to get to Glamis – If you’re in an RV – prolly more – It’s a little over 200 miles away – and the road they took to get to camp is kinda curvy so you’re not driving at full speed. There are a couple of other options to get there – but the wildcard is traffic – and they literally took the road less travelled. Glamis is where they are camping at the dunes.
- From Glamis (2) to Desert Regional Hospital, Palm Springs (3) – It’s about 122 miles – and a little more than 2 hours without traffic. It’s the hospital where Vicki was airlifted.
- From La Quinta (4) (Meghan & Shannon) to Desert Regional Hospital, Palm Springs (3) – It’s about 24 miles so it takes a little over a half an hour without traffic. La Quinta is the location of Meghan’s vacation home. Shannon was visiting Meghan for the weekend.
- From Rancho Santa Margarita/Coto de Caza (1) (Approximately where Briana lives) to Desert Regional Hospital, Palm Springs (3) – It’s a little over 100 miles and about 2 hours without traffic… but there’s always traffic – lots of it… it’s horrible… ALL of the time! Google estimates that it would take 2 ½ hours… because they KNOW there’s always traffic…lol.
- From San Diego, CA (5) (Approximately where Michael, Vicki’s son lives) to Desert Regional Hospital, Palm Springs (3) – It’s about 130 miles or a little over 2 ½ hours without traffic. I’m not sure exactly where he lives… but you get the point.
-BTW- When I was cross-checking the mileages, at first my husband was using the “Google Maps” app through an iPhone… and was getting wackadoo information that varied greatly with my independent searching results.… Then he switched and used “Google Maps” separately through the normal website and got the correct info… So, I guess it’s possible that Meghan, who is new to the area, had no idea the info she was receiving was just plain wackadoo. #AppFailure
Vicki’s Lies Made Her Bed – Now She Has To “Lie” in It
Various times after the accident, Her Royal Heatherness and Tamra (who had just been released from the hospital) made telephone calls to Meghan and then later to Shannon to let them know what happened (or to lay a guilt trip on them). They emphasized the fact that Vicki was at the hospital by herself. They were freaked out because no one knew the extent of Vicki’s injuries.
However, Meghan and Shannon had absolutely no intention of visiting Vicki…. They’re just too busy playing golf with their gooberhead husbands. Even though, 1) Vicki was just in a scary life-threatening accident; 2) She is also their coworker; and, 3) Meghan felt a close enough friend to Vicki to gladly attend her birthday party just the week before… Yet, it is also true that Vicki has treated Meghan and Shannon like crap over the last several months.
I personally don’t think Vicki should have expected Shannon or Meghan to rush to her side. She has said and done some pretty terrible things to both of them especially in light of the whole Brooks fiasco last season… Vicki’s lies have made the bed she now must “lie” in… all alone… in the hospital.
However, I also think that it’s perfectly reasonable for Tamra, Kelly, and Heather to be appalled that Meghan and Shannon didn’t immediately rush to Vicki’s side at the hospital. This was life/death stuff… Their pleadings and emotional manipulations were done because they were looking out for their battered and bruised friend. They knew firsthand how horrible the accident was and how they were all alive by the hair on their chinny-chin-chins.
Even though I totally believe Vicki shouldn’t have expected them to visit – I also think it was ludicrous that Meghan and Shannon couldn’t put aside the rest of the petty crap to be there for Vicki in what could have easily been a really, horrifyingly bad situation… You know, like normal, decent human beings. Remember… At this point no one knew the extent of Vicki’s injuries. No one. All they could do was call her on the phone while she was in the emergency room.
But Vicki is also like the boy who cried, “Wolf!” She plays the victim like no one else can – so it could be a little easy to deduce (for Meghan and Shannon) this was just another time Vicki was overplaying the sympathy card to earn favor. But Vicki wasn’t playing anything at this point – that may have happened later, I dunno. The facts are the facts. She was in a bad accident after which she was throwing up – and she was air-lifted to the hospital. Period.
Later in the episode, Bravo allowed a holy crap on a cracker bad edit of Briana to air wherein she basically said that her Mom was embellishing the amount of pain she was in just to get attention. Briana is not a rookie on reality TV – this is not her first rodeo. Who says that about their Mom on national television? I mean even if you think it might be true… You never say that crap in public – In private… absolutely – but not in public. No, not even on a reality TV show. I really despise how Briana acts sometimes.
I also do think that being in a hospital is a very vulnerable experience. There are certain people in our lives we probably wouldn’t want to see while in the hospital. I honestly don’t know that either Shannon or Meghan had any assurance that Vicki would even WANT to see them. Except that of course, she could have been dying.
While Meghan and Shannon went through the list of others who they think SHOULD visit Vicki – so many of them were in actuality too far away geographically – you can easily see that from the map above. I think Heather did a good job of emphasizing that Vicki was all alone – but Meghan just didn’t want to hear it.
By the way, Vicki confirmed in a tweet to our beloved PlainviewSue that her son Michael was out of town on a business trip.
Meghan said that she was in constant texting contact with Vicki while she was in the hospital. Seriously? Get up off your ass and go to see her then! If you’re a good enough friend to be texting someone while they’re in the emergency room – then you’re a good enough friend to visit. It’s likely hard to text when you have a concussion. But they didn’t even ASK Vicki if she wanted some company…
You Had Me at “Accident” and “AirLifted”
Meghan and Shannon have continued to excuse their absence from Vicki’s side by saying they really had no idea how bad the accident really was. Okay, so which part of “accident” and “airlifted” did you NOT understand? They generally don’t airlift people for no good reason – They could have easily just taken her to the same hospital as Tamra. Someone on the ground made the assessment that Vicki’s injuries were significant enough to warrant this kind of intervention.
In her blog this week, Shannon says: http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-orange-county/season-11/blogs/shannon-beador/shannon-i-believe-that-i-am
In my family, we go to the hospital if someone is admitted after their tests. An ER patient is typically undergoing different tests like CT scans or MRI’s to determine potential injuries and visitors cannot be present for those. To everyone who says I don’t have a sensitive or kind side, I do. If Vicki had been admitted for her injuries, it would have been a different story. Fortunately for her, she was released with only a neck brace.
I guess people have differing ideas about hospital visitation. Hospitals have various rules about who can visit and not visit, especially pertaining to the emergency room. But we know this to be true… Vicki was in the emergency room with no one there for her at all. It would have been nice if someone had been there to tell her it was going to be okay, no?
Riddle Me This: Why didn’t a member of the production crew at Meghan’s house go to see Vicki? They too, were at Meghan’s house? Did we REALLY need to see Meghan and Shannon at the golf course with their gooberhead husbands? I know they wouldn’t have been able to film while at the hospital… but again, this is about being there for someone who had just been through a really horrible accident WHILE SHE WAS WORKING FOR THIS SHOW…
Here’s an excerpt from Vicki’s blog last week: http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-orange-county/season-11/blogs/vicki-gunvalson/vicki-gunvalson-i-had-immediate
After several CT and MRI scans, I was released about nine hours later and diagnosed with severe concussion and neck injury. I had to take a car service home from the hospital all by myself, late at night with no shoes, no purse and nothing on but hospital scrubs and hospital socks. Not exactly what I had expected when my friends were so close by.
If Meghan was in such great contact with Vicki throughout her ordeal – Why didn’t Vicki tell her that she was being released from the hospital in the middle of the night – Vicki could have easily stayed at Meghan’s house that first night, no?
And where in the HECK was production? Why didn’t THEY ensure Vicki had what she needed – Like clothes, a ride home, etc.? Tamra told Meghan and Shannon on the phone that Vicki left at 1:00 am, had to Uber home in a neck brace and a paper gown… Vicki said “car service” and “scrubs” in her blog. Is Uber considered to be a “car service?” I was thinking of a car that’s a tad more upscale than a bright green ’77 Chevy Vega.
Tamra talks to Meghan and Shannon on the phone to emphasize the seriousness of the accident. She took the blame by saying she “messed around.” Wow… No insurance company would like to hear her say that… Tamra couldn’t believe that neither one of them went to the hospital to check if Vicki was okay. Tamra ended up telling Meghan in a phone call, “Go to hell.”
Later, Meghan said that she and Shannon, “…might have misjudged the severity of the situation.” Gosh, ya think?
To be fair… We now know why Vicki’s family couldn’t be there for her – but where in the heck were Vicki’s real-life friends? Where were her employees? Does she not have any real life friends? I wonder if she called Brooks? Lolololololol… I’m sure Brooks was well acquainted with that and the hundreds of other hospitals in the southern California area – what, with all of those thousands of rounds of his non-existent chemotherapy treatments, right? Or maybe it was the months and months of radiation therapy treatments… Or maybe he went there for his holistic walking on grass in bare feet therapy. I’m still so pissed off that Brooks had the audacity to fake cancer. Unconscionable. oooOOoooo that makes me so riled up.
Man I’m still really mad… I’ve not been able to let it go… No wonder I’ve not been able to write about this franchise this season. The fact that Vicki hasn’t admitted to any wrongdoing on her part blows my mind… Like you know – Saying that she attended some of his doctor appointment when she didn’t (She said that she didn’t go to all of them but that she had gone to some… but it actually turned out to be only one of them – and that was for a blood test)… Maybe she could have physically looked at the medical notebook she told the others that she put together so she could stay on top of things… She also said that he threw up in the middle of the night from his “treatments”… And she lied about Dr. Dubrow arranging for medical intervention late one night… etc. etc. etc… Wow… and all this is was just off the top of my head…lol.
As she’s laying in the hospital, Vicki moans, “Nobody’s here… Life sux.”
You’re lucky to be alive, Vicki. Life doesn’t suck. You made this bed yourself… and now you have to “lie” in it… In a “paper” dress that likely clashes with the color of your fingernail polish. Oh, the horror of it all!
By the way… Meghan kissed and made up with Vicki later… She also had a special Apology Summit with Her Royal Heatherness. Everyone seems to have made up… Well, except for Shannon.
That’s it thus far… I’ve really distanced myself from this franchise. I’m not sure if they can win me back or not… but I’ll give it a try… Hope you’ll come along for the ride.
Thanks for reading…
All photos are video screenshots of the episode that can be accessed at: www.bravotv.com. Thanks, Bravo!
The Video of the Week
It’s pumpkin season… Yay! In this week’s video, an elephant family has fun with some pumpkins… ‘Cuz pumpkins are always fun, no? This YouTube video was posted by Oregon Zoo entitled, “Elephants Pulverize Giant Pumpkins During 2015 Squishing of the Squash.” Enjoy!